So you guys might be wondering what we've been up to in Thailand...
Children's camp: Last weekend we went to a town about 2 hours away and led a children's camp. The first day we were with the teenagers. We played a bunch of games, which we also used to teach English with as well. Then we had them do a few skits, and then taught a dance. They loved learning the dance, and some of them were incredibly fast learners!
 |
| Teaching a variation of 'Rock, Paper. Scissors'. |
The thing about it all was that we didn't plan it really scheduled or anything. We had a few things in mind, but then we just kind of went with the flow. I think it was a good thing that it wasn't all hype and structure because it made room for us to interact with the kids at a more relational level. I find that when it isn't all about programs, the relaxed atmosphere makes more room for relationship growth... Really, these kids need LOVE. They need people to just spend TIME with them and show affection to them, even in simple ways.....
 |
| Playing a game with the kids. |
|
 |
| Teaching songs |
 |
| Another game. |
The next day we went to a local school and played games, taught songs and dances while teaching english all along the way. There were about 50 kids from ages 5 - 12, and they were all so eager to learn whatever we taught them. When we tuaght them English songs, they pronounced the words very well, and when we played pictionary, they turned out to be amazing artist! It was such a blessing to work with kids that appreciated whatever we did so much. It seemed like everything we taught was the most precious things they had ever heard. It's so easy to have fun with kids like that!! During that time, I really found how receptive they were when I spent time with them. Some of the time I helped with teaching, but other times I just played WITH them. Whenever I would even just wink at them or smile at them or sit next to them, they would be so happy and so appreciative. They savor even the simplest forms of expressing love. Even when I used no words!
Things we're learning:
Through it all, a challenge has been language. None of us knew any Thai before we came, and most of the Thai people we are ministering to don't know English. However, we have seen how there are so many other ways of speaking to these people. Actions speak louder than words. We are learning to just trust God's leading and let HIM speak through us. We need to SHOW God's love rather than just talk about it. Being God's hands and feet doesn't always mean preaching, but actually acting it out. So that is what we've been challenged to do. The language of love, especially God's love, has so many ways of being expressed. It can be expressed through simple things like smiles, games, gestures..... or just BEING with them. But the whole time we have to be reception to what God is wanting to say and do through us...
Things God is teaching me: Trust is a huge thing!! I've been having to trust him for finances, and for his guidance in what he wants me to do, and what he wants me to say, and just satisfy all of my needs. He's teaching me more and more about what it means to belong to him. I am his special and chosen posession, so he will take care of me. Why do I always feel like I need to always take care of myself, when I am not my own? I am His, chosen and perchased at a price. I am his child.
 |
| Waew (a staff from Tamar Centre) and me. |
Fun fact: Whenever we go anywhere, a bunch of us always ride in the back of Yoyo's (our host) pickup truck. It can get really windy sometimes! ...And then other times it rains! Sometimes we even play music as we drive. :) It's so much fun. I really like it because at home, in Canada, we're not allowed to do it, so I have a sort of special freedom. ;P haha.
| | | |
| Freddy and Nikita. | | | |
|
|
|
Another fun thing that we enjoy is
food. We eat anything from insects to any dish with rice, and from rats to funky flavoured bubble tea! Pretty much anything we eat we call "aroi" (which means delicious).
 |
| Yup, those are GRASSHOPPER legs coming out of my mouth! |
|
 |
| Sharing a meal at worship at the Korat YWAM base. YUM. |
2 comments:
Zoe, those grasshoppers would do me in - I'm glad you posted evidence of yourself in the act!
Keep trusting girl!
Love,
Angelina
haha. Yes, I just HAD to document the grasshopper delicacy. ;)
thank you!
Post a Comment